Table of Contents
Stunts are tricks, maneuvers, or techniques your character has that change how an approach works for your character. Generally this means you get a bonus in certain situations, but sometimes it gives you some other ability or characteristic. A stunt can also reflect specialized, high-quality, or exotic equipment that your character has access to that gives them a frequent edge over other characters.
There’s no definitive list of stunts that you pick from; much like aspects, everyone composes their own stunts. There are two basic templates to guide you in composing your stunts, so you do have something to work from.
The first type of stunt gives you a +2 bonus when you use a certain approach in a certain situation. Use this template:
Because I [describe some way that you are exceptional, have a cool bit of gear, or are otherwise awesome], I get a +2 when I [pick one: Carefully, Cleverly, Flashily, Forcefully, Quickly, Sneakily][pick one: attack, defend, create advantages, overcome] when [describe a circumstance].
- Because I am a Smooth Talker, I get a +2 when I Sneakily create advantages when I’m in conversation with someone.
- Because I am a Lover of Puzzles, I get a +2 when I Cleverly overcome obstacles when I am presented with a puzzle, riddle, or similar conundrum.
- Because I am a World-Class Duelist, I get a +2 when I Flashily attack when engaged in a one-on-one swordfight.
- Because I have a Big Kite Shield, I get a +2 when I Forcefully defend when I use my shield in close combat.
Sometimes, if the circumstance is especially restrictive, you can apply the stunt to both the create an advantage action and the overcome action.
The second type of stunt lets you make something true, do something cool, or otherwise ignore the usual rules in some way. Use this template:
Because I [describe some way that you are exceptional, have a cool bit of gear, or are otherwise awesome], once per game session I can [describe something cool you can do].
- Because I am Well Connected, once per game session I can find a helpful ally in just the right place.
- Because I am Quick on the Draw, once per game session I can choose to go first in a physical conflict.
- Because I can Run Circles Around a Leopard, once per game session I can show up anywhere I want to, provided I could run there, no matter where I started.
These templates exist to give you an idea of how stunts should be constructed, but don’t feel constrained to follow them exactly if you have a good idea. If you’d like to read more about the construction of stunts, see Skills and Stunts in Fate Core.
Tool for Stunt Inspiration
If you're having trouble coming up with a stunt, give the Stuntmaker a go. It will generate random Fate Core style stunts to inspire you! (Just be sure to vet them with the table before using them.)